28th SGIFF: Talk | Never-Ending Man: Hayao Miyazaki
Duration: 70 min film | 40 min discussion + Q&A
Venue: National Gallery
In 2013, Oscar-winning film director and animator, Hayao Miyazaki, suddenly announced his retirement at the age of 72. But after an encounter with young CGI artists, the director of Spirited Away decided to embark on a new artistic endeavour. This candid documentary follows Miyazaki as he crafts his first CGI film in an intimate behind-the-scenes portrait filmed over two years. Join us in this dialogue session discussing Miyazaki’s influence on their works, and how traditional drawings and CGI have both found a place in today’s animated films.
Kaku Arakawa joined NHK in 2000. He met Hayao Miyazaki during his interview with Toshio Suzuki, the producer of Studio Ghibli. He went on to cover the behind-the- scenes production of Ghibli movies like Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea, The Wind Rises and more.
Director/animator Jerrold Chong graduated in 2016 with a BFA in Animation at California Institute of the Arts. His films have screened at numerous international film festivals, including in Bristol and Korea. In 2015, his film Nascent was awarded the Best Animation at the Singapore Short Film Awards. He recently participated in the SGIFF’s Southeast Asian Film Lab in 2016 with the project Ten Dollars.
Dr. Gan Sheuo Hui is a researcher, writer, as well as lecturer at the Puttnam School of Film and Animation at LASALLE College of the Arts. Her research focuses on cinema, anime, manga, and related forms of Japanese popular culture and their international popularity in Asia and the West. Her current projects include a book of essays on contemporary Japanese animation, as well as interview surveys of the production and distribution of comics and related contents industry in Malaysia.
Official Website: sgiff.com
- A fully refundable fee of $5 is charged for each ticket booking.
- On the event, simply present the e-ticket at the Front-of-House desk. The refund will be processed electronically via Peatix. Otherwise, the ticket will be forfeited.
- Registration closes 25th November 2017, 10am. Any cancellations must be made before the ticket cut-off date and time.
- Should the refund be done before the credit cardcut-off date, no money will be deducted for ticket payment. In most cases, both the ticket payment and the refund appear separately on the credit card statement.
- Should the refund be done after the credit card cut-off date, Peatix will refund the amount in the next month through a negative invoice.
- Peatix accepts VISA, Master, Paypal and AMEX.
Full Offscreen Events: sgiff2017.peatix.com
Enquiries: +65 6509 4749 / firstname.lastname@example.org
11:00 AM - 12:50 PM SGT
- National Gallery
Free Seating (Refundable) SOLD OUT $5.00
- Venue Address
- 1 Saint Andrew's Road, #01–01, 178957 Singapore